Basic – Computing
Reading Time – 1 minute, 09 seconds
The backup definition is a term used in Information Technology(IT) to store a copy of data in a separate place to reuse it later or restore it in case of data loss.
The importance of backing up data
- Backing up data is important if your computer or laptop crashes due to an error and if you are unable to fix it. Backing up data will help you restore your data to a new device or computer.
- Data backups save you from losing data permanently. In case if you permanently delete an important file in your computer by mistake, backup data will help you to retrieve that file easily and faster.
- Backing up data helps you save storage space on your computer and even mobile phone. When the internal storage starts running out of space, backing up data will help you to make a copy of your data elsewhere and clear some space in your device.
The 3-2-1 rule in backing up data
- Always keep 3 copies of your data. One copy as primary data and the other two as backups.
- Save your copies of data in 2 types of media such as hard drive, USB, DVD, or cloud storage.
- Make sure that you keep at least 1 of those media off-site. You may use an online data backup method for this.
The 3-2-1 rule is a set of instructions followed by computer users when backing up data.